My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, United States

I am an outsourced American: I am black/African American and approaching 43 years of age. This is a chronicle of my story. The major networks talk about the "robust economy," few of them talk about the personal cost of the loss. I hope my story is not just an ethnic story. Like I said: I am an outsourced American, a casualty of NAFTA and CAFTA. We will all share in this boat soon.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Introduction

I share an e-mail log I've had with a major technology company:

11/16/2004

Hi-I'd like to schedule a phone screen with you regarding the position that you applied or at (name of company blanked out). At the moment, my schedule is open: Tuesday Nov 16 , 2 - 5 Central timeWednesday Nov 17, 8:30 to 2 and 3 to 5 CST Friday Nov 19, 8 to 5 CST. Please let me know if there is a 30 minute window in there that would work for you, what number I should call, or if you would prefer to contact me.I look forward to hearing from you,
(name blanked out) Technical Recruiting
(name of company blanked out)

Reply:

Hello:

How about either 17 November at 10:00 AM or 19 November, same time?

Best regards,

Reggie Goodwin

Home: (number blanked out)
Cell: (number blanked out)

11/17/2004

Reggie-
I'm booked today at that time, so I have you on my calendar for Friday at 10AM. Would you like me to call you at home or on your cell? Also, the resume I have has your last position at (name of previous company blanked out) in 2003. If you have more recent work experience and would like to submit another resume I can replace this version.
thanks-
(name blanked out)

My reply:

(name blanked out):

I enjoyed speaking with you on the phone this morning. I hope to progress successfully in the next phone interview with the hiring manager, and eventually (everything going positively) the position at .

My work experience has been as a self-employed person. The (name of company blanked out) position I just recently picked up for seasonal work. If you think both are relevant, I will update the resume.

Reggie

11/19/2004

Reggie-
I think the version we have is fine. I forwarded it onto the hiring manager, and I think he is checking around here for people who might have known you at (name of previous company blanked out). Nothing like an inside reference :)
Talk to you soon-
(name blanked out)

11/22/2004

(name blanked out),

Any updates?

Reggie

11/23/2004

HR's reply:

You are on the hiring managers list of calls to make - I looked at the tracking sheet this AM.
(name blanked out)

11/30/2004

(name blanked out):

(name of hiring manager blanked out) - (forgive me: I believe that is the name of the hiring manager you mentioned in our phone interview) hasn't called me. Has the postition been filled?

Regards,

Reggie Goodwin
(number blanked out) (h): best after 9:00 AM
(number blanked out) (m): anytime, VM

12/1/2004

HRs reply:

Not yet. We have 2 interviews scheduled for Friday, so my guess is that he is waiting to see what the outcome is of those before spending time wooing anyone else :) I'll try to follow up with you next T or W and let you know what happened.
(name blanked out)

12/2/2004

(name blanked out):

I've established (number blanked out) with voice mail through Call Notes (again). Any calls for telephone and/or scheduling of personal interviews can now be left there.

Best regards,

Reggie Goodwin

12/7/2004

(name blanked out),

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Reggie Goodwin
(number blanked out) (vm)
(number blanked out) (mobile)

HRs reply:

Reggie-
I am sorry to report than an offer was made yesterday, although it has not yet been accepted. We should know 12/17, if you want to email me after that for status.
(name blanked out)

My reply:

(name blanked out),

I've been out of work since 26 August 2003 (ironically, the anniversary of my father's death). If you can tell me what defeated my chances to even get a face-to-face interview I'd greatly appreciate it. If not with , the information would be valuable with some other company.

I'd also like to know if it's worth my time (or ------'s) to continue my posting on the job site. Thank you.

Reggie

12/21/2004

(The follow-up referred to my calling the HR rep directly on 12/17/2004) :

Reggie-
I promised that I would follow up with you as soon as I knew something. We made an offer yesterday to a candidate that we interviewed back in early November, and he accepted. the position is considered filled and will be officially closed once I get his paperwork back.
I'm sorry - I know you are disappointed. I hope you will continue to watch the (name of company blanked out) job board and apply for other positions you are qualified for.
Best Regards-
(name blanked out)

My reply:

(name blanked out),

I'm a little confused in your interview procedure: why was I phone interviewed if you already had (now I'm counting) three candidates with the 2 the previous Friday and now the November candidate?

Forgive me. This answer doesn't change my current employment prospects. I need something with a little more substance.

Sunday, December 26, 2004 will be 1 year and four months to the date I've been unemployed; underemployed working odd jobs I'm severely overqualified for (like ---).

Reggie

As of 12/27/2004, no reply from the HR Technical Recruiter (I think she's on Christmas vacation).

Many would say I've "burned my bridges." They'd say I should have held my tongue and applied for as many jobs on the web site as possible.

Some points to make here:

1. I posted to this site about a month after my lay off, redoing and polishing my resume at Drake, Beam, Morin and Associates (they'd advise me to hold my peace as well).

2. Up until the phone call - generated by her - I'd receive e-mails about job matches that I apparently qualified for. I'd answer yes, of course, then would hear nothing back or that the job has been filled and the rec closed. OK.

3. This is the first REAL person I've talked to in over a year on this site. This company could have made it easier for me to stay in Austin, Texas. I'm trying to maintain stability for my youngest son to finish high school (currently in the seventh grade). I've gotten offers to leave and if I didn't own a local business or had a family, I would have been GONE a long time ago.

4. She stated "You are on the hiring managers list of calls to make - I looked at the tracking sheet this AM" on November 23.

5. I recall in a phone conversation, the hiring manager was walking my resume around to "see if anyone knew me at my former company." Since it had about 13,000 workers at one time of my employ there, there was a fair chance the manager wasn't successful. If anything derogatory (can't think of anything) were said, I believe I have LEGAL rights against slander.

Trust me. I'm trying to stay positive.

I'm working in shipping in a warehouse larger than 10 football fields; on a production floor of conveyer belts, full of cursing workers, and a delicate ballet between the forces of static and kinetic friction I can only refer to as "a controlled avalanche!"

The physicality is the only thing I appreciate. It allows me to beat the snot out of cardboard boxes, sling them through space, yell a little myself and vent any frustrations about my circumstances at inamimate, unfeeling objects.

Trust me. I'm trying to stay positive. But when you're making 1/5 of what you made as a professional engineer per hour, when you're up at 3 AM when the rest of the world is sleeping, when you've seen your retirement and investments dwindle to dust, that can make you a little testy. I probably need a time out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home