My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, United States

I am an outsourced American: I am black/African American and approaching 43 years of age. This is a chronicle of my story. The major networks talk about the "robust economy," few of them talk about the personal cost of the loss. I hope my story is not just an ethnic story. Like I said: I am an outsourced American, a casualty of NAFTA and CAFTA. We will all share in this boat soon.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Then, What Are We?

I previously posted a link to The Corporation in the entry for the "Second 100 Days."

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an on-coming train. The recession should end this summer (another jobless one) and we should see some relief as jobs - corporation jobs - start thawing 4Q2009 or 1Q2010.

I looked up the definition of pyschopath, because I had the nagging notion: if corporations are "psychopathic" as the documentary states, then what are we?

I remember getting cups, shirts, shoes, jackets and T-shirts from my former corporation - the one that laid me off in 2003 and started this blog. I remember one instance realizing I had NOT bought a single stitch of clothing for myself in quite a while. I was a walking advertisement, and just as happy to tell people in the mall, passers by "I work at..."

When I got laid off, I looked for something LIKE what I had, same pay, same type of cubicle, same hassles, same 60 - 70 hours per week.

One such instance: I received (I'm dating myself) 120 pages in a single day! Exasperated, I went into my manager's office: "Which ones are priority?" I asked. His answer: "All of them!" I of course asked what if I choose the wrong one? His answer in Dilbert-esque "pointy-haired boss" fashion: "It would be your fault, then!"

I was also threatened with my job on a Friday afternoon that had me working until 9:30 PM to get a ROM code to a mask shop. Mind you, the IT guy and I had never processed a ROM code for a DSP part before. It didn't matter: if I failed to get the order processed, it would be "my fault" again.

Seemed I never had money even though I made good money. I spent it as soon as the raise was approved. The vacation, the new gadget, the gizmo was what I kept online orders and shipping companies tasked to get those orders to me - quite busy. I haven't tasked them in some time and the economy slowed because of it. No spare money - MY FAULT again.

So, what are we?

My best guess is that we all suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. I'd be curious to your thoughts on my analysis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home