My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, United States

I am an outsourced American: I am black/African American and approaching 43 years of age. This is a chronicle of my story. The major networks talk about the "robust economy," few of them talk about the personal cost of the loss. I hope my story is not just an ethnic story. Like I said: I am an outsourced American, a casualty of NAFTA and CAFTA. We will all share in this boat soon.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Chapter 12 - The Carrot

“My day” occurs tomorrow. I will officially be 43-years-old at 7:39 AM.

When I included the verses from the book of Job, I’d buried my head into the keyboard after slamming my fist into a very expensive computer desk. My oldest son came to console me. He said he was proud of me.

I finally read the Book of Job, ironically in the same spelling as the word for employment, and found it a most depressing book! His friends were despicable! Most of the reading, I felt like physically slapping the TASTE out of their filthy mouths. For Job to pray for the callous snots after their bad advice, even with the Almighty coming to him out of a whirlwind is HERCULEAN to me. Somehow, praying for others makes his circumstances “all better.”

Speaking of praying: my wife and I try to pray at 5:00 AM every morning. This is HER idea, mind you. Since God is timeless, and man bound by time, I don’t see the difference in giving El Shaddai His due at 6:30 AM after a little more shuteye.

My prayer was testy, angry, blunt, pissed off. Yeah, I was mad at my invisible God. After all, I’ve been through this Jobian experience for well onto two years. I’m waiting for the whirlwind. I’m tired.

I got a call on my cell. Amazingly, it’s the same company that started this Blog in the first place (see the introduction). I don’t mention their names as I did there because I don’t want to jinx any possibility of getting back into the game.

Peer pressure: it’s not just for teenagers. Part of my journey this year was to realize that I am affected by peer pressure. Two instructors I admire are on the cover of Tae Kwon Do Times. They were laid off from their high-tech jobs like me. I had no reason to believe that I could not achieve the same level of success as they did. I was successful in getting the studio as a local interest story on News 8 Austin (see link in the title). Yet, we don’t share the same background; experiences or culture. I can’t be like them. I can only be me.

Unfortunately, my net after earnings wasn’t and hasn’t been much after two years. I made a lot of money and I had to spend a lot of it on advertising and operational costs.

I talked first to the HR rep (a new one!) I talked to an associate of the hiring manager. I talked to THE hiring manager. This was all done as a phone screen. Then, reality set in.

The face-to-face is what I’m waiting on. They didn’t actually SAY they were going to pull me in for an interview. This unknown is the biggest problem the unemployed face.

I’ve been out of the game for two years. I’ve honorably tried to get a business off the ground to stay in the area. I’ve honorably looked for other jobs outside of the city and state.

The face-to-face is probably the only answer now I could stand to accept now. My day is tomorrow. My tomorrow is in the balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home