My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedar Park, Texas, United States

I am an outsourced American: I am black/African American and approaching 43 years of age. This is a chronicle of my story. The major networks talk about the "robust economy," few of them talk about the personal cost of the loss. I hope my story is not just an ethnic story. Like I said: I am an outsourced American, a casualty of NAFTA and CAFTA. We will all share in this boat soon.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Chapter 9 - On Becoming

Suffice to say, I was not offered the phone screen for the Home Depot position.

However, it has made me consider hiring a lawyer.

I received a call from a headhunting firm. [They] got my resume from careerbuilder.com. They asked me for an updated version of my resume. I obliged the rep. I was confident I could sail through the interview and out of my financial morass.

"I'm sorry, sir. We rejected your resume on the basis of... you are overqualified."

I say, "I've been out of work for two years. YOU called ME. What is your definition of over qualification?"

"You're overqualified, sir, because of your years of experience."

"Just what does that mean?"

"Well, the position requires 6 - 10 years of total work experience... you have more."

"So, are you saying I'm overqualified, or that I'm too old?" I've been working since I was sixteen years old. That's either 22, or 26 years. If they tabulate from my age at graduation, that’s 28 - 32 years.

"You're overqualified, sir, because of your years of experience."

"I see. Thank you."

I called information and contacted a lawyer. The math just doesn't add up and two years of blogging is patience enough for anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home